Pages

Saturday 10 March 2018

And now for something completely different.

As a teacher in my former life before crafting took over, running classes, the planning, preparation and the teaching others has never been a problem for me but sometimes I do wonder why people find some of the things in class so difficult. Its that learning process, its diffeent for everyone and if as crafters we never put ourselves in that actually learning from someone else environment its easy to forget what it is like.
A friend who runs workshops in a nearby town was chatting to me about this, saying that she felt she need to go and refresh some of her skills and learn some new ones but it was difficult time-wise as when you run your own business it is more than a 24/7 job.
I felt very much the same and could empathise with this.

Some weeks ago something popped up in my newsfeed about #meetthemaker on instagram. Now those of you who are regular readers know of my dinosaur type experience, knowledge about all things IT but I thought I would give it a go.... I lasted a few days as you need pictures every day, I don't know how to schedule and I can't do that but whilst looking at the instagram feed I came across the name of a lady whose classes I have been to a couple of times. She is running an instagram class on embroidery #sew4thesoul I was hooked.
Each week she demonstrates a different stitch, we are now on week 6 and I have kept up!!! I am loving it and find it very relaxing. When finished this will be my sample piece then I plan on doing lots of pieces in shades of pink and sewing them altogether to make a quilt. That might be a year or so away but the embroidery will continue.
I am learning something new, I have made mistakes and I can't tell you how much I have had to unpick when I have got in a mess.
Being in the place of the learner has been good for me.

What I have produced so far:-







Tonight I have done another three rows of french knots which I feel I have perfected plus blanket stitch which I have only ever done as an edging stitch before. I'm not sure how many stitches there will be but I will update you next month.


2 comments: